Thursday, March 22, 2007

One Book

With a nod to the man who mistook his mind for a nous...

1. One book that changed your life:

Negatively: The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand.

Positively: Wee Sir Gibbie, by George MacDonald (well, the cumulative effect of reading all his works, really); Tree and Leaf, by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Also, Anna Sewell's use of the first person narrative blew me away the first time I read Black Beauty, at age seven.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
I have probably read The Count of Monte Cristo (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo) by Alexandre Dumas more than 30 times by now ... various edited versions, an unabridged edition, and the original French unabridged version.

I am rereading it right now, in fact.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
The SAS Survival Handbook.

Choosing beyond the practical? There are too many books that I love.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Gordon Korman has me laughing out loud whenever I read Son of Interflux or Don't Care High. Juvenile? Maybe. Funny? Definitely.

5. One book that made you cry:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis... the death of Aslan.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Practical Orthodoxy For Converts: How to Live a Life You Weren't Raised In.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand.
The Communist Manifesto, by Karl Marx.
The Golden Bough, by Sir James George Frazer.
Almost anything by Joseph Campbell.

I could go on.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas.
The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien.


9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
The Bible. I don't read it enough.

- V.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo as well. One of my favourites of all time. Most recently all I had was an abridged version but it is on my list to find at the used book store.
The movie was almost OK but it changed way too much of the story, even beyond what was necesary for brevity. Disappointing.

Other works by Alexandre Dumas I've read and enjoyed were the Three Musketeers and Man in the Iron Mask (its been awhile for both) I tried reading the Three Musketeers in the original French but it was heavy going for me.

One book I've lost but always loved and want to replace is A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I read that several times over before I lost it in a flood along with some other classics.